ISLAMABAD: Parliamentary Affairs Minister Tariq Fazal Chaudhry told the opposition on Monday that the government’s offer for talks remained on the table, urging them to demonstrate seriousness.
Speaking on the floor of the Senate, the minister said, “The solution lies in seriousness,” and called on the opposition to agree on a time and venue for negotiations.
“On one hand you are not serious about talks, and on the other, you want to derail the system,” Chaudhry remarked.
Senator Abdul Qadir also called for dialogue during Senate proceedings, saying political problems could only be resolved through political means. He urged the opposition and government to sit together and agree on terms of reference (TORs).
“If you don’t accept the system, then you should not accept the leader of the opposition seat either,” he said.
Later in the day, Prime Minister’s Adviser on Political Affairs Rana Sanaullah, Law Minister Azam Nazeer Tarar and Chaudhry met the opposition leader in the National Assembly, Mahmood Khan Achakzai, and the leader of the opposition in the Senate, Allama Raja Nasir Abbas, in the NA opposition leader’s chamber.
The two sides discussed the appointment of the chief election commissioner, the country’s political situation and mutual political matters, according to a statement issued by the spokesperson of the opposition alliance Tehreek Tahafuz Ayeen-i-Pakistan (TTAP).
The two sides agreed to continue the meetings, the spokesperson said.
They have been at odds since the 2024 elections, after which the PTI had demanded a judicial commission to probe the protests of May 9, 2023, and November 26, 2024. The scope of sticking points has widened in the following period, including PTI founder Imran Khan’s health and release.
Meanwhile, the government has repeatedly urged the PTI-led opposition to engage in dialogue.
Last year in December, PM Shehbaz had extended an offer for talks with the opposition, but emphasised that dialogue between the two sides could only proceed on “legitimate matters”.
At the time, the PTI had outright rejected talks, but TTAP, of which the PTI is a part, stated its openness to negotiate with the government.
In July, Abbas, who is also the chief of the PTI-allied Majlis Wahdatul Muslimeen (MWM) and part of TTAP, confirmed that opposition was ready to hold talks and had sought a “neutral venue” for the proposed dialogue.
Abbas confirmed that the government had invited opposition leaders for talks at the PM’s Office. However, he maintained that they had sought to hold the meeting in Parliament House.
Earlier this month, in a meeting with PTI Chief Whip in the National Assembly Aamir Dogar, Chaudhry agreed to invite the PTI-led opposition for negotiation at the proposed venue; however, PTI maintained that any dialogue was conditional on improved meeting facilities and access to medical care for its founding chairman, Imran Khan.
After the meeting, PTI Central Information Secretary Sheikh Waqas Akram had said the party made it clear that negotiations could not take place unless a conducive environment was created.
He said the party had demanded permission for meetings with Imran and access to his personal doctors. “Otherwise, we cannot sit with the government merely for photo sessions,” he added.
