Naqvi meets Iran, US envoys on second round of Islamabad Talks preparations

Date:

ISLAMABAD: Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi on Monday held separate meetings with the Iranian and US envoys to discuss arrangements made for a second round of Islamabad Talks between the two warring parties.

Naqvi’s intensified efforts come as Islamabad continues to set the stage for a possible second round of negotiations between Washington and Tehran, after the first round ended without an agreement.

The Ministry of Interior issued separate press releases detailing Naqvi’s interactions with US Charge d’Affaires to Pakistan Natalie Baker and Iran’s Ambassador to Pakistan Reza Amiri Moghadam.

According to a statement issued later in the day, Naqvi discussed “arrangements for a second round of Islamabad Talks” with the Iranian envoy, telling him that the preparations for it were complete.

“Foolproof security arrangements have been made for foreign delegations,” Naqvi told Moghadam.

Iran said earlier on Monday that Tehran has yet to decide on whether to send its delegation, and there is no official confirmation so far that talks will be held.

“An emphasis [was placed] on the need for a sustainable solution through diplomatic and negotiation channels to reduce tensions,” the ministry noted.

“Pak-Iran relations span decades. We view [these] brotherly relations with an eye of esteem,” Naqvi was quoted as saying. He stated that Pakistan was in favour of “resolving the US-Iran conflict through negotiations”.

“The enduring solution to the conflict is the guarantor of the region’s stability and peace,” he emphasised.

Islamabad’s Chief Commissioner Sohail Ashraf, Inspector General of Police (IGP) Ali Nasir Rizvi and Deputy Commissioner Irfan Memon were also present on the occasion.

Earlier in the day, Naqvi had met with Baker at the US Embassy in Islamabad’s Diplomatic Enclave, where the two discussed the latest regional situation and the promotion of Pakistan-US relations in detail, the ministry said.

US President Donald Trump announced on Sunday that representatives from Washington would be in Islamabad “tomorrow evening” for a second round of negotiations with Iran.

Naqvi informed Baker about the security measures taken for holding the talks, saying that “special security arrangements have been made for all our special guests”.

The ministry added that he was “praying for the success of the second round” of talks.

Meanwhile, the US envoy appreciated Pakistan’s sincere role in reducing tension in the region, according to the ministry.

Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) Director General Dr Usman Anwar was present on the occasion, along with IG Rizvi, DC Memon and Ashraf.

Baker and Naqvi had also met to discuss “foolproof” security measures on April 9, two days before the US delegation landed in Pakistan for the first round of talks.

Author

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

Fudan University documentary screened in Pakistan

ISLAMABAD: The Moon is Yours, a 102-minute documentary directed...

China, Russia seek deeper ties ahead of Putin’s Beijing visit

BEIJING: China and Russia are preparing for another high-level...

Dar reaffirms commitment to stronger ties with Saudi Arabia, UAE and Iran

ISLAMABAD: Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar...

Inflation, Imran’s treatment spur Friday protests by TTAP, PTI

ISLAMABAD: The opposition alliance Tehreek Tahaffuz-e-Ayin-e-Pakistan (TTAP) and Pakistan...